Mt Aspiring National Park
Huts are open and operating under COVID19 Alert Level 2 conditions. Check the government website for the latest information on levels and restrictions.
Keeping yourself and others safe
It’s important that visitors take responsibility for their own Covid-19 hygiene and safety:
- If you are sick, stay home.
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, call your doctor or Healthline and get tested.
- Wash your hands, thoroughly and often, using soap you carry with you.
- Keep track of where you have been. Complete the hut book and take a photo for your records.
Located high above the valley floor on a col below Mt Earnslaw, this great little biv provides shelter for climbers and adventures exploring this wonderful mountain massif.
2,150m on Wright’s Col between Earnslaw & Leary, Rees Valley, Mount Aspiring National Park.
Detailed map below.
2 bench bunks with mattresses (sleeps 6), toilet, but no water tank. Please note that the second older biv has now been demolished and removed completely.
A reminder with high usage of the Esquilant Bivvy sewerage needs to be airlifted out – donations to the club to help with costs would be much appreciated.
From Earnslaw Hut, 5 hours up grass, scree and across snow face of Leary to col, hut is on west side of col on the slopes of Mount Leary.
Members $5 per night
Non-members $10 per night
Payable online by credit card or bank transfer (NZ accounts only) – see above, to the NZAC National Office, PO Box 786, Christchurch +64 (0)3 377 7595, or to the Department of Conservation (DoC) offices in Wanaka and Dunedin.
POINT (168.40706348 -44.61540031)
NZTopo50: CA10 356 495
NZMS260 (old): E40 459 113
1. When booking in advance you must take your receipt with you to show proof of payment to the DoC Warden. If you cannot show proof of payment, you will likely be required to pay again by them.
2. You need to log in first, when booking, to obtain member rates.