Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park
Lodge managers Simon Middlemass and Pip Walter welcome you to Unwin Lodge.
Unwin Lodge is the flagship of the NZAC hut network. The Lodge was substantially rebuilt in 2012 on the site we have occupied since 1949 and sits at the entrance to Aoraki Mt Cook National Park, and is the perfect base for everything from family day trips to the glaciers to adventures on New Zealand’s highest peaks.
Covid-19 Guidelines for Unwin Lodge Users at Level 2
Following the New Zealand Government announcement Sunday 14th Feb 2021 the New Zealand Alpine Club’s Unwin Lodge is permitted to open under Alert level 2, but must operate in accordance with health guidance relating to physical distancing and contact tracing.
To ensure compliance with Government Alert Level 2 guidelines, and to ensure the safety of Unwin Lodge users and managers, we have implemented a range of safety measures including additional cleaning protocols which you are required to follow
We ask that you help us to ensure these measures are effective by adhering to the following at all times while using the Unwin Lodge:
- Please advise the Unwin Lodge Managers if anyone in your bubble has recently experienced symptoms of illness or tested positive for Covid-19
- We have the right to turn anyone away at our discretion
- Hand sanitiser and disposable gloves have been made available. We require you to use the sanitiser on entry to the Unwin Lodge and encourage you to use the disposable gloves for all food handling and cleaning procedures.
- Please ensure all users of the Unwin Lodge have either filled in the contact tracing register or the app, including signing in and out, including day users.
- Please wash your hands regularly, and after removing disposable gloves.
- Take all rubbish away with you in the bin liners provided, including used gloves and wipes, recycling, glass and general rubbish and food scraps
- Cover your mouth when sneezing/coughing. Cough into your elbow
- Please wipe down all hard surfaces after use using the bleach disinfectant provided. Bottles with instructions for use are located in all bunkrooms, bathrooms and kitchen facilities.
- Please also wipe down all other frequently used surfaces such as bunk ladders, shelves, light switches, power switches, bookcases, lockers, etc.. Use disinfectant provided following instructions on bottles provided. Dispose of wipes in bins provided and take with you on departure.
- Please observe appropriate social distancing in public and communal areas, and outside the Unwin Lodge in the building surrounds. 2m for strangers 1m for friends.
- Please immediately report symptoms of illness to our managers and the Covid-19 Healthline 0800 358 5453. We reserve the right to request anyone becoming unwell to leave the premises.
Please let our managers know if you have any questions or concerns.
Phone: (027) 523 5360 Pip and Simon. / Email: [email protected]
Click to read the Unwin Lodge Factsheet PDF
48 bunks – 1x 10 person, 5 x 6 person dorms and two 4 bed “family” rooms for members and those with under 5’s,
Modern toilets and showers, electricity, fully equipped kitchen, stoves and utensils, drying room, washing machine and soap powder ($2 per wash, powder supplied), a spacious dining and common area with wood burner. There is an Alpine library for NZAC members.
- There is a small charge for casual showers ($5) or day use of the facilities ($10) if you are not staying with us.
- There is no Wifi – and you need 027 to get decent reception.
- You can pay for your stay with cash or EFTPOS (preferred). PS It’s good to bring cash in case our system breaks down/power outages/ no one being about etc. There is an Honesty Box in the foyer.
- We also have a couple of bikes for village access.
- Please note that we are a Club hut, not a backpackers and do not provide bedding or pillows.
- Twizel is the nearest town with a supermarket. There is a limited amount of very pricey food available at the Hermitage Shop or the YHA.
- Petrol (Premium 98 and Diesel) is available from a self-service facility near the Day shelter. Again it’s cheaper to fill up in Twizel. If your fuel warning light has just come on you should easily get to Twizel.
The road entrance is clearly marked from state highway 80 about 1 km from the airport turn off. Please park behind the Lodge. Drive slowly.
Shuttle transport to Unwin from Lake Tekapo, Twizel and Mount Cook Village can be arranged with The Cook Connection or phone 0800 26 65 26.
Motor Homes and/or camping are not allowed under our concession.
Pip and Simon
Mobile +64 27 523 5360
Email: [email protected]
Thank you very much for a wonderful stay. We very much enjoyed our time at Unwin Lodge & at Mt Cook. Your Lodge is a super place to stay & our room was perfect for the 3 of us. Greta loved being in a top bunk – a rare treat for her – and the whole lodge was very comfortable, clean and easy to be in. It’s great that you have toys for kids, & we very much liked being able to play cards etc by the wood burner.
NZTopo50: BY15 680 509
NZMS260 (old): H36 780 125
Main photo Unwin Winter 2015: Simon Middlemass/Outer Limits
Important Update: 22/9/20 Alert Level 1
NZAC Huts are open and operating as normal as long as we remain at COVID19 Alert Level 1.
Unwin Lodge is open for NZAC Members and friends and will be operating under current M.O.H Level 1 guidelines: see below
Key points are:
- At Alert Level 1 we all need to be ready in case COVID-19 reappears in our community.
Check the government website for the latest information on levels and restrictions.
Keeping yourself and others safe
It’s important that visitors take responsibility for their own Covid-19 hygiene and safety:
- If you are sick, stay home.
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, call your doctor or Healthline and get tested.
- Wash your hands, thoroughly and often, using soap you carry with you.
- Keep track of where you have been. – You can use our location app to help keep a record for when we next have a outbreak.
Complete the hut/visitor book and take a photo for your records.
You will need to have made a booking enquiry via email still. Pre-planning can avoid disappointment.
2. PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT
Just as you would in any hut you can do it here to0 – rubbish is an expensive business here and has been supported by the operations of the Mount Cook Alpine Village Ltd. As they are currently partly closed we are looking at ways to reduce our waste product operating costs. It seems logical if you arrive in a vehicle you can take stuff away with you. We appreciate your help.
This includes food scraps/waste as well as recycling and glass!!
If you want to have a fire ???? bring some lighting material it’s hard to get – newspaper still rocks as the best!!
Simon and Pip
Bookings can be made via email (preferred) or phone through the lodge managers (contact details below). There is no online booking.
- Member $20/night
- Non-members $40/night
- Members’ children (5-17 yrs) – $10/night
- Non-members’ children (5-17 yrs) $15/night
- If you have a child under 5yrs you must book a room exclusively as below
- Family Rooms/Exclusive use: Depending on availability and at the manager’s discretion, member families or groups may book a bunkroom for their exclusive use.Family Rooms are charged on a room rate as below
NB: NZAC Members with families have priority
- 4-bed family room $80 members/$160 non-members
- 6-bunk room $120 members/$240 non-members
- 10-bunk room $200 members/$400 non members
- Casual day-use of Lodge facilities (e.g. showers/kitchen/lounge) $10/day/person
- Casual shower -$5 p.p
- Guiding Groups – use of Lodge for training days $10/day/person when not staying.
- School group rate– school students $15/night, staff $20/night based on a full room rate
Please pay when you get here and it’s often good to have cash in case electronic methods are not working or if the Managers are not around to drop in the honesty box.
- Booking is essential for groups and recommended for individuals.
- The NZ Alpine Club may, at our discretion, accept non-member bookings. Your booking may be cancelled if NZAC Members need beds.
- Family rooms (4 bed or 6 bed) may be booked for exclusive use by members wishing to bring their families. They are charged at a room rate.
- Please email us. [email protected]
Note that NZAC members take preference.
- School and club groups are welcome but you need to book in advance. School groups must book outside of the dates 1 November to mid-February.
- You can make a booking inquiry via email (preferred) or give the Managers a call, they are always happy to provide info and advice to help you on your adventures. We are unlikely to take individual bookings months out unless on a course or climbing trip. Please Email your request.
- Please note that they like to get out and about and have some other commitments so are often unavailable for part of the day, but can be reached by phone: +64 (0)27 523 5360
Remember NZAC members receive discounted rates and priority.
It is best to avoid Unwin on the following dates as we have large groups staying
May 1 – Exclusive booking
May 4 + 5 – School booking
May 6 – School booking
May 8 – large group.
May 10 + 11 – School group
May 18+19+20 – School group
May 24 + 25
June 2 + 3
Notices for Unwin Users
Generally, these and long weekends are for NZAC Members only
Please check with the Lodge Managers when booking.