Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park
Lodge managers Simon Middlemass and Pip Walter welcome you to Unwin Lodge.
Unwin Lodge is the flagship of the NZAC hut network. The Club has had a hut on the site since 1949. Designed and built by the Club and volunteers for use by its members and their guests to carry on the tradition of having a base for climbers to explore the mountains and glaciers of the Mackenzie district.
Click to read the Unwin Lodge Factsheet PDF
48 bunks – 1x 10 person, 5 x 6 person dorms and two 4 bed “family” rooms for members and those with under 5’s,
Modern toilets and showers, electricity, fully equipped kitchen, stoves and utensils, drying room, washing machine and soap powder ($2 per wash, powder supplied), a spacious dining and common area with wood burner. There is an Alpine library for NZAC members.
- There is a small charge for casual showers ($5) or day use of the facilities ($10) if you are not staying with us.
- There is no Wifi – you need to be on the 4G network with Spark or Skinny to get connectivity
- We also have a couple of bikes for village access.
- Please note that we are a Club hut, not a backpackers and do not provide bedding or pillows.
- Twizel is the nearest town with a supermarket. There is a limited amount of very pricey food available at the Hermitage Shop or the YHA.
- Petrol (Premium 98 and Diesel) is available from a self-service facility near the Day shelter. Again it’s cheaper to fill up in Twizel. If your fuel warning light has just come on you should easily get to Twizel.
Main photo Unwin Winter 2015: Simon Middlemass/Outer Limits
Please email first – there may be schools or big groups here or expected and it helps with planning. We also need to know where people are in the event of an emergency eg Fire alarm. Members are welcome to bring guests who will pay non-member rates.
Pip and Simon
Mobile +64 27 523 5360
Email: [email protected]
2. HUT FEES
EFTPOS or cash.
There is a box in the foyer for cash payments with envelopes provided so we know who the money comes from. This is great for all of us if you’re late arrivals/early leavers off on a ‘mish.
3. PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT
Just as you would in any hut you can do it here to0 – rubbish is an expensive business here as everything is freighted to Timaru at a cost. We are looking at ways to reduce our waste product operating costs. It seems logical if you arrive in a vehicle you can take stuff away with you. We appreciate your help.
This includes food scraps/waste as well as recycling and glass!!
Do you want to have a fire ????
We have wood but bring some lighting material, it is hard to get, newspaper still rocks as the best!
Simon and Pip
- Booking is essential for groups and recommended for individuals.
- Members are welcome to bring Guests who will pay non-member rates.
- Family rooms (4 bed or 6 bed) may be booked for exclusive use by members wishing to bring their families. They are charged at a room rate.
- School and club groups are welcome but you need to book in advance. School groups must book outside of the dates 1 November to mid-February.
- You can make a booking inquiry via email (preferred) or give the Managers a call, they are always happy to provide info and advice to help you on your adventures. We are unlikely to take individual bookings months out unless on a course or climbing trip. Please Email your request.
- Please note that they like to get out and about and have some other commitments so are often unavailable for part of the day, but can be reached by phone: +64 (0)27 523 5360
Please pay when you get to Unwin. It is often good to have cash in case electronic methods are not working or if the Managers are not around. You can fill-in an envelope and drop cash in the honesty box. Especially useful if you arrive late and leave early.
- Adult Member $20/night. Non-members $40/night
- Children (at school) – $10/night. Non-members $15/night
- If you have a child under 5yrs you must book a room exclusively as below
- Family Rooms/Exclusive use: Depending on availability and at the manager’s discretion, member families or groups may book a bunkroom for their exclusive use.Family Rooms are charged on a room rate as below
- 4-bed family room $80 members
- 6-bunk room $120 members
- 10-bunk room $200 members
- Casual day-use of Lodge facilities (e.g. showers/kitchen/lounge) $10/day/person
- Casual shower -$5 p.p
- Guiding Groups – use of Lodge for training days $10/day/person when not staying.
- School group rate– school students $15/night, staff $20/night based on a full room rate
Public Holidays: Generally, these and long weekends are for NZAC Members only
Please check with the Lodge Managers when booking.
The following dates have group booking which may mean there is no space for others.
- May 24 & 25 School Group
- May 31 & June 1 School Group
- June 6 & 7 & 8 School Group 32
- July 1 NZAC Members Exclusive booking FULL
- July 6+7+8 Exclusive booking FULL
- August 1+2+3 Primary School Group FULL?
- August 16+17 ARA Polytech (Limited space)
- June 9th School group (34?)
- June 14th & 15th ARA Polytechnic (15)
- June 21-22-23 School Group (12)
- September 15+16 University of Canterbury FULL
Unwin Lodge, 5355 Mount Cook Road (State Highway 80) , Aoraki Mount Cook National Park,
3km before Aoraki Mt Cook Village
Postal Address: PO Box 45, Aoraki Mount Cook, Mount Cook 7946
Detailed map below, or click for a downloadable Location Map PDF
The road entrance is clearly marked from state highway 80 about 1 km from the airport turn off. Please park behind the Lodge. Drive slowly.
Shuttle transport to Unwin from Lake Tekapo, Twizel and Mount Cook Village can be arranged with The Cook Connection or phone 0800 26 65 26.
Motor Homes and/or camping are not allowed under our concession.
NZTopo50: BY15 680 509
NZMS260 (old): H36 780 125