Township, Arthur’s Pass National Park
This warm little base lodge is located in the heart of Arthur’s Pass National Park and is only two hours drive from Christchurch. It provides a great base to explore the surrounding mountains from, with peaks suitable for beginner and advanced climbers alike.
Leave No Trace Video ‘Respect the Wildlife’: Please don’t feed the Kea
IMPORTANT NOTE: Would the first person to visit the lodge in a calendar month, please test the bells of the fire alarm and complete the appropriate form in the white Fire Safety Manual under ‘Owner’s Inspections’ with the date and comments. Instructions in the lodge. Thank you.
Notes: Department of Conservation alerts can be found here
1. BOOKING – if you opt for bank transfer to pay your hut fees you won’t receive the door code back until the funds are recorded as received during office weekday hours. If you pay via Visa/MasterCard instead then the code will come back to you by email as soon as the transaction goes through the payment system at the checkout so this is the better option for last-minute bookings. You also need to log in first, when booking, to obtain member rates.
2. For any ‘boil-water’, or important notices please visit the council website prior to your stay as they monitor the intake and reticulation system and keep residents informed of any updates, which are posted online at www.selwyn.govt.nz. Boil-water notices often only last a few days and may follow wet weather that creates turbulence in the treated supply leading to increased bacteria in test findings (such as E-coli).
3. WATER INFRASTRUCTURE WORKS – Work on the water network outside the Lodge will take place from 5th Feb 2024. Trenching works and a new filtration system installed in the shed behind the Lodge. Disruption should be minimal but just be aware there will be people around the Lodge.
Nestled amongst the trees at the very end of School Tce above Department of Conservation Headquarters at Arthur’s Pass Township. Vehicle access and parking, 5 minutes walk from Railway Station, 2 minutes walk from Department of Conservation Visitor Center. An excellent base for climbing, tramping, walking and skiing in the surrounding National Park.
3 Rooms – total sleeps 28:
Room A: a platform that sleeps 4 and one bunk on the bottom row (5) + 1 bunk in the centre and 4 on the top = 10
Room B: 5 bunks on the bottom, 5 in the centre and 5 on the top = 15
Wardens Room: 1 double bed and 1 single bunk above = 3
Single bunks and one double with mattresses (NOTE: no bedding), electricity, heaters, hot showers, fully equipped kitchen (cooking and eating utensils, fridge, stove, microwave), comfortable common room, wardens room, indoor toilets and an outdoor picnic table. We recommend you bring along some toilet paper – just in case supplies have run low.
Please take your own toilet paper – stock has run out 8/1/24
The door lock system has changed as at November 2023, you will still require a code to get in, which will still be emailed when your booking is completed. The door will be in unlocked mode when the code is entered. When you leave the hut you must reactivate the door lock as per the instructions on the door.
Code changes monthly. Please note that the code is NOT available from the Department of Conservation at Arthur’s Pass.
There are cameras installed at Arthur’s Pass Lodge – one in the door foyer and one over the carpark.
Fees are payable by credit card or bank transfer (NZ accounts only) when you make your online booking below. The door code will be sent by email when your booking is complete and paid. Please note that if you pay by bank transfer, the code will not be sent until the next working day as it has to be processed by the staff in the HoM. If you require the code outside of work hours, please pay by credit card.
- Members $20 per night
- Members child (11-17 yrs) $10
- Non-members $40 per night
- Non-members child and group youth rate (11–17 yrs) $20 per night
- Children (10 yrs and under) free
- Day use only $15
Group rates are by special arrangement only and may be made through the National Office.
Bookings are required, please use the calendar above.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL CANTY/WESTLAND SECTION MEMBERS FOR THE ARTHUR’S PASS HUT CODE – BOOK ONLINE USING THE CALENDAR ABOVE.
Enquiries to NZAC National Office: +64 (0)3 377 7595 or email
Please see this webpage for details Arthur’s Pass and further links to climbing in the area:
POINT (171.56168461 -42.94206713)
NZTopo50: BV20 825 447
NZMS260 (old): K33 925 063