Township, Arthur’s Pass National Park
Huts are open and are running at COVID19 Alert Level 2. Check the government website for the latest information on levels and restrictions.
Keeping yourself and others safe
It’s important that visitors take responsibility for their own Covid-19 hygiene and safety:
- If you are sick, stay home.
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, call your doctor or Healthline and get tested.
- Wash your hands, thoroughly and often, using soap you carry with you.
- Keep track of where you have been. Complete the hut book and take a photo for your records.
This warm little base lodge is located in the heart of Arthur’s Pass National Park and is only two hours drive from Christchurch. It provides a great base to explore the surrounding mountains from, with peaks suitable for beginner and advanced climbers alike.
Leave No Trace Video ‘Respect the Wildlife’: Please don’t feed the Kea
IMPORTANT NOTE: Would the first person to visit the lodge in a calendar month, please test the bells of the fire alarm and complete the appropriate form in the white Fire Safety Manual under ‘Owner’s Inspections’ with the date and comments. Instructions in the lodge. Thank you.
Notes: Department of Conservation summary of track/facility conditions as at 16 May 2020- APNP_Alerts_Update_16.05.2020
1. BOOKING – if you opt for bank transfer to pay your hut fees you won’t receive the door code back until the funds are recorded as received during office weekday hours. If you pay via Visa/MasterCard instead then the code will come back to you by email as soon as the transaction goes through the payment system at the checkout so this is the better option for last-minute bookings. You also need to log in first, when booking, to obtain member rates.
2. For any ‘boil-water’, or important notices please visit the council website prior to your stay as they monitor the intake and reticulation system and keep residents informed of any updates, which are posted online at www.selwyn.govt.nz. Boil-water notices often only last a few days and may follow wet weather that creates turbulence in the treated supply leading to increased bacteria in test findings (such as E-coli).
Nestled amongst the trees at the very end of School Tce above Department of Conservation Headquarters at Arthur’s Pass Township. Vehicle access and parking, 5 minutes walk from Railway Station, 2 minutes walk from Department of Conservation Visitor Center. An excellent base for climbing, tramping, walking and skiing in the surrounding National Park.
3 Rooms – total sleeps 28:
Room A: a platform that sleeps 4 and one bunk on the bottom row (5) + 1 bunk in the centre and 4 on the top = 10
Room B: 5 bunks on the bottom, 5 in the centre and 5 on the top = 15
Wardens Room: 1 double bed and 1 single bunk above = 3
Single bunks and one double with mattresses (NOTE: no bedding), electricity, heaters, hot showers, fully equipped kitchen (cooking and eating utensils, small under-bench fridge with ice-box only, stove, microwave), comfortable common room, wardens room, indoor toilets and a picnic table. We recommend you bring along some toilet paper – just in case supplies have run low.
Locked by keypad. Combination will be emailed when your online booking is completed (see below).
Code changes monthly. Please note that the code is NOT available from the Department of Conservation at Arthur’s Pass.
Fees are payable by credit card or bank transfer (NZ accounts only) when you make your online booking below. The door code will be sent by email when your booking is complete and paid. Please note that if you pay by bank transfer, the code will not be sent until the next working day as it has to be processed by the staff in the HoM. If you require the code outside of work hours, please pay by credit card.
- Members $20 per night
- Members child (11-17 yrs) $10
- Non-members $40 per night
- Non-members child and group youth rate (11–17 yrs) $20 per night
- Children (10 yrs and under) free
- Day use only $15
Group rates are by special arrangement only and may be made through the National Office.
Bookings are required, please use the calendar above.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL CANTY/WESTLAND SECTION MEMBERS FOR THE ARTHUR’S PASS HUT CODE – BOOK ONLINE USING THE CALENDAR ABOVE.
Enquiries to NZAC National Office: +64 (0)3 377 7595 or email
Please see this webpage for details Arthur’s Pass and further links to climbing in the area:
POINT (171.56168461 -42.94206713)
NZTopo50: BV20 825 447
NZMS260 (old): K33 925 063